View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2109557)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is either merge, one die, or both die.

The first seems nigh on 100% certain to not happen, the second highly probable in the shorter-term, with the latter's probability in the longer-term affected by the first two. It seems there is virtually unanimous fan support for a merger. Given this, we can most probably rule it out ever happening. This leaves us with the options of either both stepping off the cliff or just one of them. I would imagine that virtually all of us would prefer one over none.

It would appear clear it is CC which is going to shuffle off first. I have always had more interest in CART/CC, but have never had anything against IRL (it is motorsport, I cannot help but watch it and enjoy it). However, the IRL would appear to be performing a reasonable bit better (although still poorly). Whilst it pains my heart to see CC go, it would appear the only remaining logical option for the overall good of OW in NAm. Of course, this assumes that those who follow CC would do so the IRL following the death of CC. If all that happens is CC-watchers disappear, with no shift to the IRL, then it would be an utterly pointless exercise. Perhaps those who watch CC that would watch IRL after CC's demise are already watching both?

I guess, ultimately, given it is generally accepted that running two series will, as things stand, if one does not drop soon enough, lead to the inevitable downfall of both, indeed OW-at-large in NAm, if one accepts a merger will not happen, then one is left with the choice of which survival one would prefer. Of course, this is not really a choice. An individual can have a preference, which is to say IRL or CC "winning", but what occurs will occur irrespective of what one may prefer.

Ideally, I would rather neither had to die, and, ultimately, if I had to choose, my heart would prefer CC over IRL, but my choice, given present realities, would have to be CC death. It would be for the overall good.

The overall good. Something we should all bear in mind.