Old 5 May 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3820174)   #60
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sorry dude, offense most definitely not intended. This may seem a little ignorant but a NASCAR to me, in simple terms:

Seriously heavy duty steel cage with some suspension bolted on

A "proper" engine... anything 6 cylinders and above ticks that box for me, so a US V8 lump is right on!

Some sheet metal wrapped around trying to vaguely resemble a roadcar that the racecar supposedly is. If you squint a lot!

That's all I've ever known. First time I saw a NASCAR race was early 90's - 93 IIRC - when Nigel Mansell jumped F1 to CART. Being a Mansell fan I wanted to see CART and got introduced to NASCAR at that time as it was accessible on the TV package I had (as was the Aussie V8 Supercars). Found NASCAR more exciting and enjoyable due to the very close and competitive nature and have stuck with it since. Don't watch any single seat racing now.
Don't worry about it Alfisti. You didn't know and your intentions were not meant to be offensive. It's offensive to me, because I have always heard it from formula, indy and sportscar fans, always used in a derogatory manner. It is offensive to many American stock car racing fans. We wonder why they can't simply just say NASCAR cars or stock cars. They would probably be offended and/or would say that we sound stupid if we referred to their series vehicles as an indy or a formula. That really doesn't sound very intelligent, if you think about it, about like someone says that a driver drives a NASCAR. No one drives a sanctioning body. As I said, don't worry about it. You didn't know. Have a good day.