View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1318717)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with the quality vs quantity issue – I think I remember Senna dicing with M. Brundle at some stage in F3?? However, I maintain that the Formula Ford grid this year has not got any sort of quality in depth. I think looking at qualifying and lap times demonstrates this (look how close the times are compared with last year).

And totally agree that the leader in the championship is a quality product – but I think this was also demonstrated last year when he was up with the leaders (yes I did look at the results), is it any surprise that he’s winning this year and what does it prove?

I don’t think I’ve ever suggested that BMW is a better product, but FF needs to reinvent itself as there appears to be more appealing products out there for young drivers at the moment. Unlike me, journalists usually have other motives for some of their comments.

There’s obviously a lot of money at stake, but I maintain that running 8 cars around Thruxton (with drivers of varying ability) and claiming that this represents the top level of UK junior motorsport is simply not good news for all involved.