View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2021, 17:05 (Ref:4070024)   #2105
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately, Discovery owns Eurosport and that's who they had Motor Trend source for their commentary (video feed was controlled by the ACO and French TV). I believe that the deal that the ACO have Discovery for LM and the WEC and Motor Trend have their own web streaming app is why (or a big part why) the WEC app is geoblocked in North America.

It's like back in the Audi R10 days where people watching LM in NA when it was on Speed Channel complained about the coverage (I liked their commentary, but their NASCAR coverage commitments due to being owned by Fox Sports butchered LM coverage). However, when people from NA asked about Motors TV back then from people in Europe, the European fans often said that they would rather have had Speed's coverage, not just with Eurosport, but even Motors TV.

IMO, Discovery need to bite the bullet, and either stream video and commentary from the WEC app or at least rely on RLM for commentary, but I doubt that'll happen until either Eurosport loses rights to European coverage for LM or the ACO move the LM24 and WEC away from Discovery/Motor Trend in NA, though, realistically, where else would they go? Motor Trend is the only option to show most of the race right now on TV in NA. NBC Sports is dying and will be largely replaced by NBC's/Comcast's Peacock streaming service. ViacomCBS won't block out 25+ hours of coverage on CBS Sports Network, or shuffle it between like CBS SN and MTV (granted, last things I'd watch on MTV were Eye Candy and Beavis and Butt-head, and they haven't shown much anything directly music related in like 20+ years, anyways). And Fox Sports will butcher coverage by moving it between FS1 (formerly Speed Channel) and FS2 (formerly Fuel).

The ACO can give up on cable and satellite TV and just stream it on the internet, and make it available for smart TVs or streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire, but I don't think they will any time soon. Motorsports in general seem to be stuck on trying to make network TV and/or cable and satellite TV work, though it's all declining due to streaming and the use of smart TVs and computers to watch TV now. IMO, it's sort of like when Netflix blew up whey they moved towards streaming instead of just being a DVD on demand service, and Blockbuster Video died out except for one location in Oregon. Blockbuster just got on the DVD by demand and steaming stuff too late, and paid for it.

Last edited by chernaudi; 23 Aug 2021 at 17:21.