View Single Post
Old 20 Feb 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4144293)   #251
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
I agree the current format works and technically the Middle East is part of Asia. But, nowadays you mostly see European teams and drivers competing. In my opinion that's not the true spirit of the Asian Le Mans Series.

Indeed, either rename it and/or include the other parts of Asia in its calendar. For the latter, create an incentive for teams to enter.
The circuits are on the Asian continent, they race to ACO rules and regulations, therefore it is the Asian Le Mans Series. Apologies for being blunt, but that comes off as somewhat elitist.

The points about a lack of Asian venues/entrants are valid, but that was tried, and as someone who watched those races, it was always teetering on the edge of respectability. Without significant financial backing to cover most of the cost, the teams based further east aren't coming to the Middle East to race. Likewise, the entrants we have seen - yes, who were mostly from Europe - will not be going to the far east for anything other than the WEC. The closest realistic circuit I can think of would be Buddh (India), but there would be money needed to ensure the circuit is a ready and willing host.

The ACO do need to be careful that this version of the AsLMS doesn't become the ELMS/WEC B-team championship*, but at the moment the series serves its purpose for all involved. Half by accident, half by circumstance, we've stumbled on a happy medium

*And this is a wider issue with the proliferation of LMP2 "super teams" that should be relieved when they are all involved in LMH/LMDH (looking at you, United Autosports).

Last edited by J Jay; 20 Feb 2023 at 18:28.