View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1102460)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Now to go out on a limb.....

With a good run, AutoCon could make the Top Five in the grid...
While I am pleased as punch that the AutoCon R&S is back (and I wish at least one of the Intersport R&S's had found a run at Petit also), I would say that the AutoCon entry will get beaten on qualifying by all the other P1 cars, and also Mircale's Courage.

In their only other run this year, both R&S cars at Sebring, one of which was Intersport's with the Elan (which was slower by a bit then the AutoCon entry) were an average of about 4.5 seconds off the pace of the Lola AER's and Intersport's Lola Judd, and honestly Sebring would seem to have favored the R&S's advantages in torque and straightline running. Road Atlanta's higher percentage of lap spend in cornering should well favor the lighter cars, including the Courage and Zytek, as well as the Lola's.

AutoCon may have a Elan now, but we haven't heard of any testing program at all, and they certainly haven't been racing, so they are at the bottom of a curve.

But, regardless, it will be great to have their thundering V8 as part of the tapestry of the race, along with the Corvette's. Too bad Larbre isn't bringing the Panoz back home too.