View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3290353)   #2
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I wish they could get them done faster, but because it's multi-class racing they *must* get the field in order first. Otherwise, at every caution you risk going a lap down to your own class leader based SOLEY on where and who the safety car decides to pickup first.

As for why they actually decide to go FCY, well.. I think in the ALMS races it's always for safety. In Europe they'll do a local caution and send the marshalls out into a gravel trap w/ some equipment to get the car back on track. That doesn't seem to happen here in the states (and I don't really blame them, you couldn't pay me enough to be a marshall and go out there to do that! have you seen some of these "professional" drivers? lol!).

It's a crappy problem.. but I haven't heard of a better solution or spent much time trying to come up with one myself.

-mike
No worries Mike, with more and more of those folks you´ll get used to it pretty quickly!

Do you have plans to do the Dubai or Nurburgring 24H next year? Both races have their own ´non-safety car-FCY´; in Dubai they use the Code 60 system (every car slows down to 60kph, no safety car, no passing, gaps stay the same, racing is resumed as soon as green flag is shown, no need to wait till start/finish line) while at the Ring they use something what is best described as ´local FCY´ (yeah, I know, that sounds rather confusing...) i.e. double waved yellow at the turn where the incident occurred (car in the gravel trap for instance), preceded by a single waving at the previous turn and a single stationary yellow flag at the turn before that. No passing obviously and cars need to slow down to - again - 60 kph. In both cases GPS is used to monitor speeds and observe violations.

Btw, what happened to your car at the end, throttle stuck open? Haven´t seen a replay of the crash but it looked nasty! Hope Jan is allright.