Thread: British GT 2023
View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2023, 06:41 (Ref:4151287)   #96
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I think some of the issue about bringing in high class drivers relates to the fact that TV motorsport works almost entirely on the basis of concentrating on who is winning, and what the 'battles' are for the top places. It does this even if nobody has heard of the drivers , or cares about who wins because TV relies on jeopardy and risk to keep a fickle audience tuned in . It creates even more bait for the viewer by bombarding him or her with endless numbers - gaps , lap times, pit stop times etc. The one thing TV can't do is to show the sheer visceral thrill of being close to a racing car driven at speed ; it cant begin to portray this , nor the noise or even smell.

Being there live is totally different - nobody is deciding what image I can see , what car I should watch (my favourite may be running last ) or from what angle. I may only have small investment in caring about who wins, and unless I study TSL closely I can lose track of who is where . But so what ? I'm in the fresh air, in the company of kindred spirits and I'm enjoying the visual and aural assault of close proximity to a racing car in full cry.