Thread: 1996 Satcc
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2002, 04:15 (Ref:245638)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the Bathurst 24hr will kill it.... I doubt that they will draw that many international competitors, and a 24hr race might prove too expensive for many local competitors. Plus the public who don't go down there (remember, Australian Motorsport events after the start of November seemingly always have trouble drawing crowds these days) won't be glued to the TV, because as we've been told, it will be very intermitent. Plus, I doubt Joe Yokel the V8 fan will have a 24hr long attention span.

I think Procar's bubble has burst in places. Look at the decline in competitor numbers in GT Production and GT Performance. The Nations Cup can provide a decent field, but seldom does. And really, the spectator numbers weren't that flash for their meetings last year, if it wasn't for some of their promotions. I was very much in favour of the move to SBS, but I have a feeling that will bite them in the backside bigtime with loss of potential sponsors on cars. It will be a very telling year. I hope they get up there, and I hope competitor numbers increase to what they could be.

What was the topic again?

Oh, flooding at Lakeside- not the eels!