View Single Post
Old 8 May 2023, 20:44 (Ref:4155087)   #54
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think this entire paragraph could be rewritten by replacing 'Miami' with 'Monaco' and it would still be accurate.
But Monaco is excused because of 'Tradition'.
I find Monaco particularly special because it is the track that requires most skill from the drivers, and looks so spectacular when they are going around the bumps at Massinet or driving so close to the wall at Tabac. The final pole lap there is one of the highlights of the season. And it is also special to know that these are practically the same streets that Tazio Nuvolari and Achille Varzi raced on in their famous scrap 90 years ago. It is generally easier to recall the events of any given Monaco Grand Prix in history than a random other race. These are things that the likes of Miami simply don't have and I think it is a very special track.

You could say that everything in that comment applies to Monaco as well and it would be better if that wasn't the case, but Monaco also has the extra element on track that Miami does not have, meaning that, for me, it will forever deserve its place on the calendar. It is extremely difficult to overtake there, but that also means that when overtakes do happen they are particularly exciting ones.