View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3191747)   #13
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the replies guys.
Bella, thanks, good point. A lot of traveling will certainly be done in the continent so there should be some additional savings there. Not sure how much of the driving bill be done there though, but a fair amount for sure.

Good point about the DFP also. I hadn't thought about it to be honest!

Gordon. I agree with the Japanese cars and that's why they would be an option. My second car was a Mazda 323F, and although it was probably one of the dullest cars on the road, it got the job done and never skipped a beat. It was a bit dull to spend Sunday mornings hoping to find something to mend and finding out that all I could do was to top up the washer fluid and check the tire pressure.

I am indeed mindful of the timing belt issue but I guess that as long as they have a FSR which shows that it was done when recommended it should be OK. The again, I've read the stories of forged service history, winding down of odometers, etc. Actually, are there any recommendations for buying used cars in the UK? I'm guessing that used car salespeople in the UK probably don't have a better reputation than anywhere else, but are there any specific recommendations other than take the car for a drive, do the HPI checks, etc.? For instance, would it be preferable to buy from a franchised dealer or just get it off a private seller?

Many thanks again!