View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1392381)   #1
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Centenary - Winston's nuts

I have read lots of copy this week concerning the Shelsley Centenary meeting, and written some myself.

However, none of this mentions that Winston Teague (GN Wasp) ran himself over with his own car right on the finishing line in an incident that brought tears to the eyes of all the blokes watching. I realise the crowd was at its thinnest at that part of the course but I am surprised that I can find no reference to this bizarre incident anywhere.

As the car reached the finishing line something broke. Nothing unusual here as this happens regularly to GN's. Winston leaped out and tried to stop the car rolling back by holding the tail, suggesting that it was a selector or chain or sprocket problem. He moved his attention to the right hand rear wheel but it kept on coming and the tyre rolled between his legs, pushing him to the ground, with his groin acting as a wheel chock. Fortunately the hard working marshals were there a split second later to rescue him.

In the finish paddock he looked quite cheerful and I heard one of the lady marshals comforting him by saying that a Swedish Lady Doctor would be there to check him over. She must not have known that Winston spends every night with a Doctor, his wife!