View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3096501)   #6
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
In light of the announcement of the Asian Le Mans series recently does anyone think that an Australian version is within the realm of possibility?

Australia has a well established GT3 championship which could form the base of the GTC class, its got a great range of tracks and there are a couple of events that would fit perfectly (Sandown 500km and Bathurst 12 Hours).

Given that winter falls in the middle of the year in the southern hemisphere it would fit perfectly for the mid-season break for Le Mans.

Thoughts?
As Breitling's mentioned, a feature round - as a member of a greater, regional series (e.g. AsLMS) - seems a more likely possibility.

Economically, and demographically, Australia seems incapable of supporting more than one significant, (semi)professional motorsport series - at least, within the foreseeable future.
The market simply isn't large enough, nor interested to an extent that renders creation of an independent series an exercise of reasonable viability.

The local sportscar - specifically GT3 - scene (exempting B12H) is entirely amateur-oriented in nature, and operated solely to serve the interests of participating amateurs.
There's minimal spectator interest and, by association, lacking commercial sponsor interest. There's no incentive for (or, perceived interest by) the amateurs to provide seats to professional drivers.

There's also an imminent economic downturn. Which is another discussion entirely.