View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3096735)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
My thoughts?

An Australian Le Mans Series would be pretty cool but it wont happen for a few reasons.

1. Money. We have a decent field of GT3 machines here in Aus GT but Im guessing its not pain free for those campaigning the cars. So with that said-how on earth do we expect people to move up to LMPC or LMP2 cars which are much more expensive to race? Not withstanding the fact that most people can point out a Ferrari or a Porsche in the street but wouldnt have a clue what an LMP was. That doesnt help find sponsors.

2. If it aint Holden or Ford here not many people care except for the diehard fans and they are few in number. Harsh but true. Maybe if you put some V8 Supercar drivers in seats you might get some more spectators.
Most people here including motorsport fans have been brainwashed into thinkng V8 Supercars are the be all and end all of motorsport on four wheels. Variety is the spice of life you idiots, any car on the WEC grid would be faster then a V8 Supercar on any track you mention. Most people here have the stupid idea that their beloved V8s would blow the doors off any of the Eurotrash or Japcrap (their words not mine) that race in ACO racing these days. The reality is somewhat different

*I like the V8s-I think Bathurst is one of the greatest tracks and the 1000 one of the toughest races in the world but so many people here need to take the blinkers off and enjoy the variety that motorsport offers outside V8s.

3. A race as part of the WEC or Asian Le Mans Series would make a far more realistic option and you'd have a bigger more stronger grid to boot with a chance of seeing Audi v Toyota which you would definitely not see in an AusLMS.

Its nice to dream isnt it? Too bad I got into sportscar racing after The Race of a Thousand Years..I dont care who was at fault for the race not returning but you screwed up royally!