Thread: Cooper T43
View Single Post
Old 10 Dec 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3695158)   #32
Lew
Rookie

Lew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooper t43 South Africa

As an update for anyone that may be interested.
3 T43s have passed through my hands, in fact one has stayed. At one stage all were with me at the same time

#29 Did go to Don Philps, was re chassised into the Quadra that proved to be unsuccessful. It was returned to the Cooper chassis, modified to wishbone front suspension as on T45. It ended up under the proverbial tree in the then Northern Transvaal and from there went to Rhodesia. It came though me to Dickon Daggit in Cape Town and he tells me has now passed it onto Europe and this car still had the 1640 engine in it.

#20 The ex Jimmy de Villiers car remained in Rhodesia where some one tried/or did insert a V8 of some description. I kept it for some time in South Africa with it's originally supplied Climax and very bad body. I passed it onto Rodney Green who is having it restored in Cape Town and last seen it looks very good. There can't be many Climax engined cars around that still have an original engine.

#22 Is the ex Brown car that my good friend Doug Serrurier bought and had to pass on to Syd before it arrived on our shores due to an attack of financialitis. Syd's mechanic at the the time was Peter de Klerk , of Alfa Special fame, and he installed the engine to Syd's instructions. From Syd it went to Bruce Johnstone, from him to Adrian Pheiffer. Pheifer used it up until 1962 and later passed in onto one Danie van Niekerk who stripped it.
It was later found and went from Danie into the ownership of Ivan Glasby. Many many years ago I managed to pry it out of Ivan(he didn't managed to keep it more than a few months) as this is the one I wanted. It was the car owned, worked on by many good friends and connected with me having literally grown up with it in Durban.
I have probably had this car for the best part of 20 years.Many other projects have intervened but the car is now approaching completion and I am building it back to the Syd, Bruce, Adrian spec. as in this form it was an iconic car that was the first "modern" single seater on our shores. It ushered in what became known as the "Golden Age of South African Motor Racing"
I have access to the full history of the car, every event including hillclimbs,sprints etc and of course many many pics

I hope to have it finished in 2017

Lew