View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3969140)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's not what I have suggested has happened. I have suggested that developmental experience within F1 has contributed to the same development of technology on road cars.
i drove to work this morning (still going in unfortunately), and used the push start button to fire up the turbocharged engine and, since we had about 15cm of snow in the last few days, i got to take advantage of my car's all wheel drive system (gas is cheap right now so i didnt mind).

one may think i drive a luxury vehicle but its just a very affordable VW Alltrack - basically a fatter slower Golf. over time technology filters both up and down.

while these technologies were not created for racing, they were nevertheless proven on a race track. im sure someone can point out where these ideas really came from (aerospace or military industries or someplace less esoteric) but that just speaks to the back and forth flow of ideas. for me it doesnt necessarily suggest one part of the process (racing in this case) is irrelevant simply because it did not come first in generating those ideas.

for me there is a connection between this sport and mass production to the point where it is no longer even relevant to question where the idea came from in the first place. and of course some technologies will have more use on a race track but irrelevant for a road car and other techs will come to life in a road car but will be considered anathema to proper racing.

im not so much touting the value of blind research but in this era of the virus there is surly an argument to be made about the value of people working and researching ideas that may not look to be obviously or immediately valuable and/or exploitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
...None recent I grant you, but plenty if you look hard enough.
how long does it takes to bring something from bespoke application to mass manufactured and affordable enough for the standard/average road car?

that we see nothing recent may even suggest, F1's limiting of technology/cost controls on new ides is what has slowed the pace of information transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
...No data transmission back to the factory from the track...
while i agree that these techs take the 'soul' out of real life racing competitions, i would imagine real time data acquisition and analysis and the feeding of that data into computer models to predict behaviour would be massively important to road cars/autonomous driving technologies.

on one had you say there is nothing F1 does first but then also advocate limiting the possibility of F1 being a leader in cross over technologies.

anyways, at the end of the day i agree with you that F1 needs to find a better and cheaper way to do things. i just remain unconvinced that limiting tech is the way to go.

ending the endless cycle of refinements is closer to where i would draw the line...unfortunately i am not knowledgeable enough to define where exactly that line is any better then that.