View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3969274)   #58
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Yes , Peter, the number of times some callow youth, after telling me my specs are rose tinted , will squawk ' But you can't uninvent technology ' . Said as if it were the end of the argument rather than the beginning of one .

Excuse the plug, but as I argued in the F 1 chapters of my book (Amazon / 'all good bookshops' - Driven -an elegy) all F1 needs is good legal draughtsmen , working with engineers to write the regs . Of course the game is to look for loopholes but the approach works well enough .

Because F 1 cannot have , or no longer has -

4 wd

ABS

Fully automatic gearbox

Enclosed bodywork

Gas turbine power

6 wheels

Driver adjustable aero - except DRS

Pukka ground effect

...and a whole heap of other stuff , None has been uninvented , just outlawed , and very successfully so .

Ironically , as the current regs stand , F1 is by the far the closest it has ever been to a spec formula , with different race shops building essentially the same car but somehow still managing to spend grotesque amounts of money..