View Single Post
Old 6 May 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1907449)   #15
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I an concede the notion that there will be a good race up-front, it will be so blatantly a 'diesel party' that it will appear to be a 'fifth' (and winning) class that only certain manufacturers can participate. Not all manufacturers make diesels. The ACO is effectively excluding these players.

I believe it will backfire on the ACO. I don't see other manufacturers pounding the doors to produce LMP diesels.

The diesel walkover at LM will be so comprehensive that every journalist will have to explain what is happening and the fingers will obviously be pointed at the rule makers and the principal beneficiaries: Audi and Pug. The public are not stupid.

In one way, I hope it rains for the full 24 hours and a GT2 car wins overall (a Ferrari or Panoz would be nice).

On the other hand, a 20 lap walkover would completely blow away any arguments that the ACO may wish to put forward about 'parity' and comprehensively rein them in for 2008.

On the issue of the Judd diesel: Audi's testing budget for their R10 engine for fuel alone was probably five to 10 times larger than Judd's development budget for new engines (petrol and diesel). It is not a pirvateer game unless Pug and Audi sell their engines.