View Single Post
Old 6 May 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1907507)   #23
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage M6
Firstly I have to point there’s no a big manufacturer with a petrol car now (and also no projects for the future). This is significant

Small manufacturers and teams have a really good performance: who compete for the victory at Le Mans 04*-05 and LMES 04**-05 vs Audi? (not Panoz, Chrysler, or Cadillac, defeated by Audi), was Pescarolo, Zytek, Creation…

*Zytek 3rd class in qualifying (3. 33. 923), Pescarolo 4th (Audi 1, 2, 3, 5), and the other Pesca (Bourdais-Collard-Minassian) abandon the race when was in 3rd pos.
**no victories, but Creation and Zytek were –in general- faster than Audis, and couldn’t win because of the realiable (and Pesca did a good championship)
I think you have made the point. Privateers were able to compete against the might of Audi at LM (and other races) in years past (petrol years). Pesca lost LM two years ago when they could have won.

Now, there is no privateer that can compete with the diesel. In fact, even a manufacturer believes the same thing. I don't know what more evidence you need. Now whether the public will see this as a fiasco is open to question but is the ACO willing to take the heat? Never underestimate the public's views and what impact they will have on decision making.