View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:07 (Ref:871386)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The SCC hadn't yet come into being; 1999 was the first year of the SportsRacing World Cup, which had succeeded the International Sports Racing World Series. The FIA eventually endorsed the SRWC (in 1999?) but I suspect only because their own series had come to naught.

I don't buy that the IPC never had any chance of success. What it needed was a manufacturer to take the fight to Mercedes, and, as I said, with Nissan, Audi, Toyota and BMW at Le Mans that year, it wasn't an unreasonable expectation. But the inexplicable decision by all of those manufacturers not to contest a full series (though BMW did, at least, do some ALMS races) killed the IPC.