Thread: Motorsport Quiz
View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2022, 03:02 (Ref:4137396)   #165
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
E.B. - Macklin was not in my original source - but checking back that is one of the drivers.

From my reference, all of the names you list are correct, with the exception of Mairesse, Pilette, and Scarfiotti. Do you have the championship races that they entered as car #1 to check against?

I also have one other entry as #1 from a driver who was never a champion.
Scarfiotti I have a record for France 1967, but looking closer it seems he was entered for the works Ferrari team in #1 but "took part in another race". Amon was the only Ferrari to start the race, driving #2.

Reading more into it, Denis Jenkinson in Motorsport Mag at the time wrote Ludovico chose to not run because seeing the terrible (career ending) accident of Ferrari team mate Mike Parkes at the preceding Spa race had disturbed him.

Andre Pilette was entered and I understood practiced for Ecurie Scirocco Belge at Monaco 1964 but was told he was too slow.

As for Willy Mairesse I Have him entered as #1 in a works Ferrari for the 1962 US GP but he was a DNA. IIRC that was when Enzo, after a poor year for Ferrari, 'cracked it' and the 3 cars Ferrari entered (Mairesse, Bandini and Baghetti in #1,2,3 respectively) were all DNA's.

So they were all officially entered as #1, but for varying reasons mentioned were MIA come race day.