Thread: Motorsport Quiz
View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2022, 07:30 (Ref:4137401)   #166
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Scarfiotti I have a record for France 1967, but looking closer it seems he was entered for the works Ferrari team in #1 but "took part in another race". Amon was the only Ferrari to start the race, driving #2.

Andre Pilette was entered and I understood practiced for Ecurie Scirocco Belge at Monaco 1964 but was told he was too slow.

As for Willy Mairesse I Have him entered as #1 in a works Ferrari for the 1962 US GP but he was a DNA. IIRC that was when Enzo, after a poor year for Ferrari, 'cracked it' and the 3 cars Ferrari entered (Mairesse, Bandini and Baghetti in #1,2,3 respectively) were all DNA's.

So they were all officially entered as #1, but for varying reasons mentioned were MIA come race day.

Thanks -

It appears my source might have been incomplete. Checking back, they seem to have considered 'Withdrawn' as not meeting the criteria of 'entered a Formula One Championship race'.

Depending on interpretation, some sources for the 1962 US GP report that 'Scuderia Ferrari were entered for the race as #1, 2 and 3, but nominated neither cars nor drivers.' which I think is why Mairesse is also not on their list.

But - with all that, there is still one more driver that entered a championship race with number one on their car, that has not been mentioned yet.

To summarise where we are:
Which Formula One Champions never raced with a number one on their car?

Mike Hawthorn,
Jochen Rindt,
Nigel Mansell,
Nico Rosberg.

And which drivers entered a Formula One Championship race with number one on their car, despite never being a champion?

Graham Whitehead – 1952 British Grand Prix
Lance Macklin ran - 1953 British Grand Prix
José Froilán González - 1954 German Grand Prix
Stirling Moss - 1958 Dutch Grand Prix
Peter Collins – 1958 British Grand Prix
Jean Behra - 1959 Dutch Grand Prix
Willy Mairesse - 1962 US Grand Prix (did not attend)
Andre Pilette - 1964 Monaco Grand Prix (withdrawn)
Chris Amon - 1967 Belgian Grand Prix
Jean-Pierre Beltoise - 1967 Monaco Grand Prix (DNQ) and 1968 Monaco Grand Prix
Ludovico Scarfiotti - 1967 French Grand Prix (withdrawn)
Pedro Rodr?*guez - 1970 Belgian Grand Prix and 1970 Dutch Grand Pri
Ronnie Peterson - 1974 Season Long
John Watson – 1985 European Grand Prix

Plus - one more driver who has not been mentioned......