View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2000, 13:41 (Ref:37840)   #10
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles would always be the 'gentleman' - if you want to call it that - because he had a set of ethics which he lived his life with, and drove his races with. Schumi brings excitement to the sport does he? Well if barging your opponents off the track to enhance your chances of winning the WDC is your idea of hotting up the show, I can live without it. A cheat is a cheat is a cheat - end of story. MS is made out to be a 'baddy' because he cheated his way to one WDC and attempted the same with another, he has made a rod for his own back - has he ever apologised for Jerez '97? Let alone Australia '96 - and these things will linger over him like a bad smell for the rest of his career. He may be fast, he may have a good racing brain, the stats will show him to be a massive talent but to my mind he will never be a great. And I'm sure he won't care, but I have my memories of Gilles, of Prost, of Andretti, of Peterson - they don't all have the stats behind them, but they will always be greats because of the manner of their driving. The win at all costs mentality just leaves me cold.
If a long distance runner tripped his opponent up to win, would you see that as good thinking, because he won, or as the actions of a blatant cheat?