View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:30 (Ref:826385)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Initial thoughts:

-Agree with flexible-flyer. The greats tend to be people who can pull strong performaces out of mediocre cars and/or work on the development or set-up of the car to make it better.
- Consistant speed. Barrichello's drive at Silverstone was great, but - so far - I don't think he quite qualifies as a great because the likes of Senna, Schumacher, Prost etc. were/are capable of that sort of perfromance on a more regular basis.

Of course, you get different types of great driver. Those that simply have a natural talent for driving quickly, such as Clark and Villeneuve, whilst others have worked hard behind the scenes, such as Hill (G) and Jack Brabham. The there are those wo combine the two; Stewart, Prost Schumacher, to name but three.

When choosing between the greats, I personally feel that they way a driver goes about trying to win is important, being sporting/fair. That's why I have always had problems putting Senna and Schumacher at the very top, though I accept that they are among the greatest ever.