View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2001, 19:28 (Ref:82074)   #13
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin de Miguel
Hi Faster let's chill,
I disagree with you obviously first because I thing Pedro is a "great driver" top ten outhere and fortunately I am not the only one. Your "Points Achieved in the past Scale" seems pretty reasonable however I don't share that point of view to rate the talent of a Driver, because the car you drive and the technology as well as the reliability play a big role in this.
For me a talented driver has to have an aurea around him built since he raced in the minor categories. As a spaniard I should like for instance Gene but I don't, I reckon is a capable driver but I don't let my national feelings to get involved. I ll give you and example of how a driver touches my emotional fibers.
Nick Heifeld is an extraordinary driver in my opinion, now thanks to his recent results is very easy to say so but if you saw the guy last year struggling you would have thought that he was not capable enough, however he was fantastic in F3 and F3000 and that gave me a good feeling about him and I am sure he ll be a star.
Mr. Trulli is a similar case to Pedro or other drivers he didn't get the points results Frentzen got for the past two years but almost everybody knows that driving on the edge he is one of the fastest guys outhere. I remenbered when he first arrived to the German F3 from karting and he was winning races and fighting with RS and Norberto Fontana (By the way I never undestood what happened to him he used to kick Ralf's butt all the time, the way all those Montoya fans wish he could do one day, I doubt it though)
My point is Pedro Martinez de la Rosa has been a lucky and a unlucky guy in his life, he won the championship in every category of racing where he participated and he was always a sponsor or professional driver, I believe in 1997 he was chosen the third best driver in the world only behind somebody called TGF and MK (you will have to ask his total fans for better statistics), and he couldn't get a sit in F1 because he is from a country where there is not or at least there wasn't almost an F1 racing culture, fortunately that's changing and the guy is superfast and he doesn't need any sponsor to show its talent. It is true that Repsol helped him in that last step to get a sit in the F1 thanks God it wouldn't have been such a waste. Anyway if you don't believe me just ask the guys at Jordan or Arrows what do they think about Pedro abilities to drive and set up a car, most probably if his last name would have been Rose he would be in a Maclren already but that will be always speculation.
The same argument I believe it will be valid or similar to guys like Raikkonenn, Alonso, Pizzonia, Pantano however fortunately for them there is a reverse trend in F1 for the past 2 years of accepting younger drivers and Pedros's fault has only been bad timing in his life (I forgot to mention that Jos is a relly quick driver as well). I believe that now you can realize why I disagree entirely with your comparison between Diniz and Pedro, if you would have said that he was slower than TGF probably I would never said anything but comparing Pedro with the other Pedro, well that was too HEAVY man. (hay una frase muy fea y un poco racista pero en Espanha diriamos que eso es como comparar a Dios con un gitano)

PS: As I mention in my last post please don't leave this forum is one if not the healthiest around, this is the way brain emotions mix works so I hope you like but if you don't I will respect it as well.Thankx

Tudo Bem e moito prazer do conhocer voce

I don't suppose I can have a copy of the first page summary of the book thats just been written above!!
I have a lot of respect for all comments made by people to F1 and their status at being a rookie or higher is irelvant.
Faster made a comment and that should be respected, he spoke alot of sense as Irvine has done nothing special this year and in many ways Burti has proved the more consistant. Better to save the 5million, ditch mouthy Irvine, keep Burti and spend the money saved on the car.
Welcome to the party Faster...