View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4183858)   #650
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Bit like if you can copy someone's design but not really understand quite why it works?
I believe this is a core and fundamental challenge for those who copy the designs of others. If you don't know how it work, you can't evolve or improve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but what would you say is limiting their ability to understand? skill, money, time, facilities, staff...all of the above?
I think all of that can boiled down to money (money buys facilities, money buys staff... staff = skill and skill reduces time).

There is one additional dimension and that is effective leadership that is able to use those resources correctly. And this starts at the very top (above team principle level). And that can't be bought, you either have it (historically Red Bull as one example and Mercedes as another) or you don't (recent higher up drama at Renault as one example). I have no insight or opinion as to where Aston Martin fits into that dimension.

But it's a moot point as money is very much restricted these days. So it's hard or impossible to brute force your way into "understand" by spending money. So the understanding is likely to come slowly over time. Those who figure it out first get the leg up on the others.

Richard