View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3925542)   #51
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a very late decision to go on Sunday, have to say that, despite Silverstone's 'best' efforts, I rather enjoyed the race.

It was a shame that the LMP1 race wasn’t a little more exciting but as always GTE Pro/Am made up for it. The howl from the Am Porsches when they were in convoy down the start/finish straight actually made my ears ring!

Have to agree with many of the comments here though about the lack of understanding, lack of commitment from Silverstone. It does seem a huge waste of space not to have the grandstands open on Sunday. H&S gone mad again! Just returned from Spa 24 Hours where the organisers go out of their way to make sure that the spectators are well catered for and that ALL grandstands are open and FREE!

It felt that attendance was significantly down on Sunday over previous years, with the shuttle buses being much easier to get on, with little or no queuing.

Started in finish line grandstand, then went to the bank in front of the disabled stand at Club where we got a little wet and then caught shuttle to Becketts which was very annoying with lack of grandstand availability. Then walked back around to Club for the finish. Also noticed that the stand at Abbey was open at the start of the race for what appeared to be press photographers but no one in there afterwards.

Didn’t make it over to the wing, but also noticed the real lack of vendors for both food/drink and merchandise on the outside of the circuit. Think that Silverstone really don’t want fans there! Glad I didn’t have to pay £40 for the experience as I had comp tickets.

Took a lot of images that I still need to sort through, but have one real gripe. I often stand at the access gate between Club and start line grandstands to get shots of the cars accelerating onto the main straight – a few different angles can usually be had from here. This year however, they had put slightly higher advertising boards on the front of the tyre barrier which meant without steps you couldn’t see over them! Brilliant! My wife who is only just over 5ft had no chance and quickly got bored so we moved on!

Come on Silverstone you can do better than this! Will I go next year? Probably not – unless there is more to see and a better response from the circuit towards the fans!