View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3610852)   #770
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'm sorry but seeing those trees being cut down at Arnage might be the most upsetting thing I've ever seen on this forum.

My first memory of Le Mans is picking up the huge pine-cones from the spectator banking and collecting them to take home with me.

It's all gone now.
And with a lot more cleared following the fires last year it has not been a good year for trees at the track.

Thinking about it, so much of the mystique or atmosphere or whatever of this circuit (in my eyes) comes from the long blasts through the trees between Tertre Rouge and Porsche Curves, and particularly from Mulsanne to Arnage. This is the reminder that you are looking at a public road, and a throwback to the days when all racing was like this. It's not a street track, it's not a road course, it's a road.

And while it is frustrating that so much of these sections of track are out of bounds, in a way I think that adds to the romance of the place. A driver and a car, speeding alone through the trees in the middle of the night. Magic.

You've got me all emotional, G4J. I think I need a lie down.