Thread: Category engine
View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2020, 22:41 (Ref:4010732)   #107
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloxsidgemotorsport View Post
I'd say that V8 Supercars was a totally new series in the 90's from the old group A series...
I have to disagree...

Plenty of entrants raced the same exact car they did before... Group 3A were just Group A with a lower rev limit, wings stuck on and (mostly) Chevrolet engines instead of Holden (apart from Mr. Perkins)!

There was every possibility to allow RWD Skylines & Sierras fitted with similar wings & similar wider tyres, with a suitable boost/weight limit to ensure parity between up to 5000cc NA and up to 2500cc turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
The world was going to 2 litre Supertourers and Australias car market was dominated by Falcons & Commodores.
V8 supercars served Australia well for 25 years .
You are right about that to a point (obviously the Magna and Camry were also popular locally made sellers, and Mitsubishi and Toyota were NOT accommodated).

While there were two series, it made both series weaker... You often had only 10-12 professionally run cars at a ATCC meeting with the another 10 privateers. But as soon as ASTC fell over, the addition of quality teams like BJR and Nemo racing definitely helped the quality of the Supercars field.

However, in 1992 the aversion to adopting sensible exciting 2000cc regulations that accommodated a wide variety of manufacturers (up to 10 manufacturers at the peak) makes no sense to me. The sheer action, the more agile 1000kg mid-sized cars, the throaty induction roar -- 2000cc racing was marvellous stuff!

Anyhow, now the Falcon is dead and so is the Commodore (and Holden as well)...

It's a miracle Nissan came back given how they were treated, and it is a tall order to get BMW to come back!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 14 Oct 2020 at 22:49.