Old 14 May 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1913236)   #92
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage M6
Yes, but Mazda persuade FIA with succes to allow 787B to run with less weight than the others Cat 2 cars, and for 1991 FIA force to add 100kg to Cat 2 cars, so their weight was around 980-1000 kg...Mazda had advantage with a 840 kg car.

Cat 1 cars? everyone knew in 1991 that Cat 1 cars hadn't enough reliable to finish a 24 hours race (I don't remember exactly when Peugeot abandoned the race...approximately between the 2nd and the 4th hour I think)
So...

...Less weight for Pesca and the rest! More weight for Audi and Peugeot!
The only reason they had the weight reduction was the fact that few saw the car as a challager, I doubt it would have been offered to anyone else.

Istr that any car with a 3500cc engine was a cat1, so some pretty old Spices lined up on the grid ahead of the Cat2 mercs etc. In a effort to please the Cat 1 cars, they had the first 10 places on the grid, the real fastest car a turbo Merc started 11th and the winner 19th.

The winner in Cat1 was a Japanese driven Spice 90C in 12th and last place so in effect 91 was a pretty good year for the Japanese!

Not sure what that proves beyond the fact that true class always shines thru.