View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:15 (Ref:1814069)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Brown, Archie

I received an e-mail from Maurice Levy ( who has a classic F3 ex-Bond March) regarding these old memories of Snetterton.
He has had trouble logging on and asked me to post the following for him. He thought it would be a good idea ( I wholly agree!) to make members aware of the Archie Scott-Brown memorial plaque and has also included some fascinating info about his earlier racing days.

Quote:
"As a local (24 miles distant) to Snetterton, my first visit was in 1955 to watch the Lotus Mk 10 of Kasterine and with various motorcycle and car racing activities,I've been a regular ever since. I would like to remind other members that though in a poor state,the plaque in the memory of our dear departed Archie Scott-Brown still resides on the rear outside wall of the scrutineering bay ( race control side). I was one of the "original" slaves at Hornsey for Chapman from 1955 -1960. As Team Lotus, we were based at Florence Road in Edmonton (working round the plaster mock up of Fraylings Elite - the prettiest GT car EVER !) but the move to Cheshunt never inspired me and after a row with Chapman on our return from the 1960 Argentine GP I left - along with the prototype Mk 18 (Innes Irelands car) to work for Mike Taylor who crashed the car at Spa in practice for the 1960 Belgian Gp when a steering column weld broke (another story)!" Maurice Levy

Thanks for your input Maurice, I often stop and look at the plaque when at Snett. Archie was indeed 'Mr.Snetterton' back in the 50s, he started his career there, drove for Brian Lister just down the road in Cambridge and had his garage buisness on the A604 road ( now A14) a few miles outside the city. It is now a bit derelict next to the Travel Lodge (opposite the Cambridge Services) towards Huntingdon.
The Snetterton plaque sometimes looks a bit forgotten but certainly not on the occasion of the Archie Scott-Brown trophy - a tradition the East Anglian BRSCC carries on to this day. At this meeting, a laurel wreath is hung upon the plaque. At the AMOC 50th anniversary Snetterton meeting in 2001 it was nice to see the Pearson's Lister Jaguar parked beside the plaque for the weekend. A fitting tribute. Although too young to have seen him race myself, my father knew Archie and passed on many stories. Long may Archie be remembered.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 13:51. Reason: Driver Files edit.