Thread: WEC 2016 WEC Discussion
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3566768)   #13
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Remarkable that a Brit wants his 'home' event being replaced by one in another country (although England is abroad for any Welshmen ).

I'm sure you'd prefer Brands or even Donington over a venue (even as historical as Monza) on the mainland.
Haha, I'm British before anything else.

Regarding seeing an event in my homeland... I'm not so sure. My first preference would be to have the correct venues and races I'd want to go see; that's more important to me than their proximity to me personally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed to live somewhere many international calendars visit, and close to a major Ryanair airport, but believe me that the WEC round at 'new' Silverstone isn't in the top 10 of my "things to do" when I choose them early in the year (Sportscars racing and rallying are my things). I've avoided the place completely this year, even the BES round.

I live nowhere near Brands and north of both Donington and Oulton, but it's genuinely more convenient for me to get to Spa, Monza, Nurburgring or Catalunya than Brands Hatch (If I drive to Brands, I'm over half way to Le Mans anyway!). Personally, I'd rather do Spa 24 and Nurburgring 24 in a year than 4 events at Silverstone in a year, and I can do the N24 total trip for cheaper than I could do the British GP.

But back to the main point, no, I'd rather see the series at the right venues than my local ones. I don't have much interest in championships, I just watch races that interest me, so if I don't want to watch it in the first place, I won't go to it anywhere in the world. If it's somewhere I like, I can save up and aspire to do it once.

Ideally for me, the season would be Sebring, Monza, Spa, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Interlagos, Road Atlanta and Fuji and be done with it, but that's not the world we live in, as Mr Neveu has made abundantly clear.