View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3116800)   #328
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think a lot of the ones who are very borderline on the finance keep quiet on it.

shouting and screaming about being short on funds to play at the weekends when to all intents and purposes, to the majority of people in your home country, you live a privileged life, is a very awkward thing to do. particularly when lots of people are struggling to make ends meet.

there's not many professions beyond commercial flying courses where you have to put that much money up front to stand a chance of getting a paid job at the end of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMAN View Post
Many race teams are basically very small businesses, whereas the small local UK engineering business owner or builder with a dozen employees and similar annual turnover is driving a Mondeo or a 5 year old 5 series, look at the team cars and bling.
to be honest the same thing has always puzzled me. we're part of that small local engineering business owner circle (not the royal we), and my folks - the bosses - both drive cars 15 years old and over. my old man suggests it's unwise to drive a new car when you're trying to keep your employees on side, and if you turn up to a customers business in a flash car, it suggests you're taking too much profit and the customer will likely try and sting you for more discount. turn up in a clean, smart but old car and it presents a better impression.

on the other hand my previous boss proudly drove around in an aston martin, which he said simply showed his customers - supermarkets - that his company was doing well. it showed the customer that the company was worthy of dealing with them.

in a way motorsport falls between the former situation - r&d engineering - and the second - sales. since very few drivers management and parents have scored their wealth through engineering, thus the sales approach is more likely to impress them.

i'm not trying to justify anything, but you know. keeping up appearances and all that.

Last edited by bella; 6 Aug 2012 at 20:22.