View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2007, 03:46 (Ref:1890828)   #23
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Seeing as the FIA adopted ACO GT regs, and have have screwed up every sportscar series they've ever controled, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion they are supperior to the ACO.

We are about to enter, IMO, a golden era in Le Mans sportscar racing, I envisage this era will be every bit as good as Group C, with the added benefit of being relevant to road car technology.

I don't know who's wearing the rose coloured glasses, sportscar racing was pretty crappy for much of the seventies and 90's, other than the flash in the pan GT1's.

The quality of teams and manufactuers, in both national and international sportscar racing, has never been higher.

The one series that is having issues, the ALMS, happens to be the one that has viered from the tried and tested ACO formula.
I have no love for the GT rules used by the FIA or ACO, but ignoring that and taking the racing at face value, the FIA has the better show.

Road racing in the seventie was incredibly good, in the US anyway.
You see it from Euro point of view, and I see it from a US point of view.
Over here it is now---just plain pathetic.

As far as the sports racers, or P cars, are concerned, if you are happy with how things are, good for you; they have been a class of less interest to me with the rule change that ended the Ferrari-Porsche battle thirty seven years ago, so the French could be more than also-rans.

I did find the production based group C, extremely interesting, but the FIA did that in.

Sports car racing started self-destructing in the nineties, and while there were a few peaks, it on its best day, is growing sideways.

This "quality" item that seems to be used to rationalize that current status---in all the years I have been interested in racing, I have never seen racers that had quality problems, anywhere, ever.
Thin fields yes, but I found no lacking in their quality.

Bob