View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2006, 05:40 (Ref:1768255)   #8
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My solution to any open-wheel merger went like this: ABC/ESPN, losing PGA Tour coverage in 2007 and thus leaving a gaping hole in their weekend sports programming year-round, approach both Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven with an ultimatum. NASCAR is coming in next year; a long-term deal with the NHRA is already in place. ABC/ESPN is prepared to dedicate their Sunday schedule with unprecedented network motorsports coverage. If TG and KK agree to work towards unification by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's centennial in 2009, they're in, and the network will give them as equal footing in promotion with NASCAR as it can allow. If both sides insist on remaining separate, Champ Car will continue to receive no coverage on SportsCenter (unless someone is killed or maimed, of course), and IMS can consider it's five-decade relationship with ABC toast.

Upon hearing this announcement, I can't help but think that someone in ESPN's front office had the same idea that I had.