View Single Post
Old 9 May 2023, 11:12 (Ref:4155178)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Am I missing something by not watching the whole thing?
Not saying this aggressively but in my humble opinion, yes you're missing out on a whole lot. I like to see the small details, hear the odd gem from the commentary team, see the tension of cars running close and pushing each other hard in a game of cat & mouse that might not make highlights. The BIG problem with highlights the way I see it is that you are beholden to some TV director's view of what a highlight is and it's easy to lose all track of the complexion of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I try to watch a whole race, as often as possible, as I like seeing the story unfold as it happens. With highlights you don't get that. For example, people are saying Verstappen's win was predictable etc. Watching the race live and seeing him banging in quick lap after quick lap on those hard tyres, was impressive. That is what is missed by not watching the whole race.
Very good explanation I think - highlights would not have done that justice - it was simply relentless, banging in fastest lap after fastest lap.

If highlights are the ONLY option, then I guess that they're better than nothing at all but I've never found them satisfying personally. If you watch the whole thing, you can always choose to fast-forward through parts if it becomes less than enthralling but on balance, I think the full package is always better.