View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4076959)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I might agree with that if not for the other reasons listed in the first post. Better wet race performance would be just one of the many advantages of going back to smaller wheels and tyres.
If there is better wet race performance. So what? I don't think that is even a problem to solve. Is this about improving wet performance (does it need to be improved) or about trying to move the potential to cancel a race due to heavy rains closer to zero?

You call out a combination of general improvements for dry weather and wet weather. Depending upon who you ask here, some (myself included) would say that the dry weather "improvement" you mention are mostly not improvements and would in fact be negatives. The same applies to the idea of reducing the diameter. For example. Lower un-sprung weight. As compared to what? A future 2022 car? Maybe so. But a gain "so what" as everyone is in the same boat.

Does any of this really improve the overall racing of F1? I am extremely doubtful about narrower cars making it easier to pass. I am on the fence about extending the length of the braking zone to improve passing. But lean toward it not being any type of magic bullet.

I think that overall. This discussion was kicked off due to the Spa rain race. That people were upset about it. And the natural inclination is to try to "solve" the problem. Was it unfortunate for fans, teams and F1 in general? Yes. But 30 days on, nobody is talking about it.

If this "problem" (and I view the problem as "inability to race at all in heavy rain") was to become more frequent then maybe options should be examined. But right now, this is the very definition of a "corner case". This stuff is pretty rare. There are any number of other potential issues that might cause problems. It makes little or no sense to try to prevent relatively rare situations that don't have significant lasting impact. Especially if the solutions are baggage (physical and financial) that have to be carried all of the time (wet, dry or otherwise)

I believe the cost to solve these problems is not worth the benefit. I am very curious about your thoughts on this being a corner case and why you think it needs to be solved?

Richard