View Single Post
Old 13 May 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3073445)   #56
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
911CG you must have arrived at a somewhat confused picture of LM after reading all the squabbling in these pages, but I hope that you won't be put off attending.

I took my seven year old son on my second trip and have since attended with a a variety of under-tens. Not once have we had a problem - indeed the very fact of being both abroad and somewhere new seems to have driven out the "I'm bored" syndrome.

I have very limited experience of the "campsite culture" referred to, but that limited experience has driven me away from the track. Our party used to stay regularly at Arnage, but after sixteen consecutive years, the squalor, plus the inconsiderate antics of some English, but more frequently, Dutch and Germans led us to consider an alternative location. For the past twelve years we've stayed on a "proper" camspite some 10 - 15 miles away. Result? Peace, quiet and a civilised way of life. It's too late if you've booked Dairon, but worth considering for next year if you end up with negative experiences this year.

Since you're taking your wife's car, the potential boredom factor could be alleviated by those with limited interest in motor racing taking the car elsewhere for a day out. We now have those in our party who never even see the race. Wives go to the shops, the Loire Valley and so on whilst those interested in the race go and spectate. It's their loss, but it's an arrangement that keeps everyone happy.

Just go; make the most of the occasion, but be aware! Le Mans is addictive.