View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2640910)   #43
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post
A cracking brace of posts there KA - with a couple of photos that I hadn't seen before... ...shock horror!

...I thought you might be interested to see is currently gathering dust in my loft - virtually two complete sets of bodywork from the VERY FIRST Williams designed MG Metro 6R4 prototype shown above...

The panels in white are brand new, the red panels (with stickers still applied) are from No 001 : A656 NJO. This car was shown at the February 1984 launch of the car fitted with the earlier rounded-style bodywork, whereas No 002 : A657 NJO was fitted with the later squarer-style bodywork, exactly as it debuted a month later on the 1984 York National Rally.

A656 NJO appeared on the Austin Rover stand at the 1984 Geneva Motor Show in March, but since the previous month's launch the bodywork had been updated to the later squarer-style bodywork. The panels shown in the above photo were the ones removed from A656 NJO - forget questionable Gp2 Capris with square arches, this is the real McCoy!
Now that's a find! Much more interesting than anything gathering dust in my loft... All you need now is a Metro shell, a V64V....(didn't the prototypes use an engine built up around a cut & shut Rover V8 block until the proper V6 was ready?)