View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3695848)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
If it's posted to YouTube and not done by official means, it's stolen content and should be removed. Don't like it? Too bad
A bit pedantic, but it's not quite that binary. There is a third option that copyright holders can choose with respect to YouTube. They can also decide to monetize anytime their content is posted by someone else. So for example, lets say I upload a race video. The YouTube ContentID system might find it and recognize it as belonging to someone else. The copyright holder might decide to have it pulled... or they can also leave my video up, but to gather any ad revenue generated from it.

Broadly speaking, and without getting into the cost/value side, the paywall solutions provide a lesser solution (inconsistency in streaming, difficulty in viewing back catalog of events, per series solutions). So until those issues are addressed people will continue to try to find alternatives such as YouTube.

I posted some similar comments in a similar thread in the F1 forum. My opinion is that live or prior event content should not "only" be viewed as a strong source for revenue. Particularly in niche series (also mentioned above). A strong consideration should be using it to grow fan interest. Shouldn't nascent fans have an inexpensive or even free way to experience the history of the sport? Prior events can be the "gateway drug" into full on addiction and stickiness.

The quote I used in that other thread is that information about prior events is slowly being converted into "oral history". In many cases, you just can't see old races, so the details exist in the occasional book or maybe a wikipedia summary of the event. But the real details end up discussed in places like this which as fun as it is... can be wholly unsatisfying when compared to the real thing.

Richard