View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2020, 10:55 (Ref:3956729)   #159
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I guess it just wasn’t popular enough to beat the others
It's interesting that you use the term 'popular', given that the Oscars have a bit of recent controversy surrounding the debate between being popular and being worthy of an award.

If you want some further reading, a couple of options:

'The Oscars shouldn't be a popularity contest'

'Why the Oscars ignore the best films of the year'

Quotes - 'There is already an award for popular films. It’s called money.'
'This [2019] weekend’s Oscar ceremony will strain to prove the awards’ relevance, assuming that this will be signalled by higher ratings for the show or blockbusters in the best picture category.'

Did Le Mans 66 deserve an Oscar? Is that opinion based on the quality of the film, or box office takings?
Does a film have to be popular to be good? I would imagine the opinion of whether Le Mans 66 deserves award success will be slightly skewed amongst readers of this forum.

In the reach for popularity, quality is sometimes lost. Or as Indira Gandhi said - 'Popularity is not a guarantee of quality.'