Thread: Tyre rules
View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3998052)   #30
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I can assure you that if the FIA was demanding a fee from the tyre manufacturers to supply their rubber that none of the suppliers would bother to tender for the contracts.

From what I understand, Pirelli charge the teams so that they can cover the cost of manufacturing the tyres (which also covers the small amount of testing that is allowed) and for transporting the tyres and supporting the teams during the year.
Then, with respect, what you understand is completely wrong.

In decades in motorsport I have never heard of a control tyre supplier not paying the promoter!

You think the promoter just gives away the right to be seen as supplier to the world’s top racing series and be seen as such all over the planet. Would be rather naive.

When they tender for the contract, this is the FIRST thing looked for. How much will they pay us for the commercial benefits.

Imagine if you could supply F1 tyres and just charge your costs to the teams. Every single tyre company that ever existed would be tendering!