View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4185845)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But are either truly UK owned? I would say registered yes but owned? Aston at least has a Canadian at the helm of the likely Canadian, US, UK and others investment group and how much of McLaren is owned by parties in the ME?

Not to denigrate either of them for their strategies to stay afloat at all
I think most large companies have a global ownership nowadays. I was just referring to the fact that, of the current major UK car manufacturers, those two are the only ones that have their parent company registered as a UK business. On reflection, I should also have included Morgan.

Aston Martin - Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings PLC (UK)
Bentley - Volkswagen AG (Germany)
Jaguar - Tata Motors (India)
Land Rover - Tata Motors (India)
Lotus - Geely (China)
McLaren - McLaren Group (UK)
MG - SAIC Motor (China)
Mini - BMW (Germany)
Morgan - Investindustrial (UK)
Rolls-Royce - BMW (Germany)
Vauxhall - Stellantis (Netherlands)

Having gone slightly off topic, I think the list of marques that are considered British does reflect the sporting heritage of the UK. Nearly all on the list have a history of Sports Cars in some form or other.

I wonder if there would ever be a grid featuring Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, Lotus, McLaren, MG and Morgan in the future?