View Single Post
Old 15 Nov 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4185969)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
AML (car firm not F1) team are owned mainly by Stroll run consortium, PIF (Saudi state investment firm - pretty sure an Aramco connection to them), Geely (China - own Lotus and other car firms) plus Mercedes (sure own 10% or so and have engine supply plus infotainment supply contracts (as long as it’s not too new!). Some public shares but diluted to de-minimis.

Pre-Stroll it was mainly Italian and ME investment funds and before that Ford.

McLaren mainly controlled by Mumtalakat (Bahrain Sovereign Wealth Fund) and previously had Ron Dennis, TAG (French?) and other investors.

Jaguar owned by Indian conglomerate who also own Tetley tea (not sure if still do) plus mainly Indian car and truck firms. They were in Ford Luxury vehicles with AML and Volvo in the not too distant past.

AML cars still made in England and Wales (Sf Athan). Engines now AMG but previously mainly built in a corner of Ford Cologne plant (V12s last few now I think). Some 4 doors were made in Austria a while back initially.

Lotus in Norfolk.

MG is just a brand for Chinese cars with heavy subsidies.

TVR on hold - did see a new one a few years back at St Saturnin. Ownership changed a long while ago.

Think Jaguar are scaling back UK production for Jaguar at least - EVs are making that more tricky.

So McLaren are pretty much made in England.

On my view it’s jobs and factories that make the cars from England rather than ultimate ownership.

Were the McLaren Can-Am cars made in Rye in Sussex? (Elva) - seems a curious connection as Weslake (Gurney connections) were they too is a small seaside town. Jota are in Sussex in countryside in middle of nowhere too.
Not sure any of this actually really relates to the OP’s question.