View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3016261)   #104
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Honda will probalby use the NSX if they wanted to race in the merged series. They would simply put the engine in front like the HSV. Its not something that has not been done before. In GT300 the Corolla is mid-engined mysteriously while road going is a tame front engined front wheel drive.
I'm sure Japanese Samurai can clear this up, what precisely are the regs on engine placement in GT500? I was under the impression they could use whatever engine they wanted from their manufacturer, change it's alingment etc but that it had to retain it's original position in the car? And especially if they're uniting regs with DTM, there are no mid-engined DTM cars.

Now considering the new NSX is mid-engined, that might be a problem...

Rear wheel drive conversions are permitted in GT300, I'm not sure what the deal is with mid-engined cars, though the Axio has now also been retired, maybe the Prius will be front engined?

Edit: I found out the rationale behind the HSV being allowed to race, in GT500, the JAF permit the use of 'production ready' cars, even if they never see production

Edit 2: Looks like front engined GT300 cars are allowed not only to convert to rear wheel drive but also move the engine...

Last edited by aneesh99; 24 Jan 2012 at 16:41.