View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1743132)   #46
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
When I first read Henri's comments I figured he'd something of a point, and I still do greatly sympathise with his point of view. That said, I think we still have to explore what effect chassis difference has. For all the modifications the Pescarolo has had, the 2006 car can probably be seen as the final flowering of a six-year old concept. The R10 and 908 are, understandably, a massive leap forward from that position, and given the resources we can assume they'll be pretty well sorted from the off.

It still remains to be seen what a well sorted petrol powered new-regs car can do up against a diesel around Le Mans. As we've seen in the ALMS, leaving rules changes aside, as Dyson's got to grips with their Lola their times have become more competitive. Equally in Europe the LC70s improved consistently over the course of the season.

If I'm honest I probably think the ACO's still being a touch too generous to the diesels (especially looking at Endurance-info's take on it re how shorter stints might allow the diesels to triple stint their tyres more easily) but don't think it's necessarily all doom and gloom - yet...