View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:31 (Ref:413184)   #6
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
I am wondering if the "rules" are as wishywashie as the NASCAR rulles are. With that many classes, it could get crazy.
Generally, the rules in sports car racing make the rules in NASCAR racing look simple and iron-clad. In stock car racing, NASCAR mostly just nibbles around the edges with a 1/4 inch here and a 1/2 inch there.

In sports car racing, you have a witches brew of rules for different cars within a single class. Rules such as different weights, different fuel tank sizes and air intake resrtictions. I recall one of the best season battles in sports car racing was in the late 1990's in the FIA GT series. Mercedes and Porsche were both competing in the top class with some of the most exotic cars I have ever seen. With the exception of Le Mans, the Mercedes always triumphed over the Porsche. Through the year, the organizers were constantly adding weight to the Mercedes and sometimes making them reduce the capacity of the fuel tank. Porsche was screaming to have their air intake restriction increased.

Can you imagine if NASCAR made the Chevy's use an 18 gallon fuel tank and add 400 pounds of weight. You'd never hear the end of it.

And KC is completely correct. Fans of Sports Car racing come to see the cars, not the drivers like in NASCAR. They like best the exotic factory hot-rods.

I've attended the Daytona 24 a couple of times, and intend to do Le Mans at least once before I die.

Last edited by Lee Roy; 25 Oct 2002 at 13:34.