View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:55 (Ref:413472)   #10
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Grand-Am has untapped potential but the main thing that holds road racing down in the U.S. in my opinion, is the fact that the average fan wants to see most of the track like they would on an oval.

While standing in line during a NASCAR driver autograph session, I overheard a lady say how disappointed she was when she went to see a race at the Brickyard because she could only see one section of the track. She liked Kansas Speedway much better because she could see the whole track. This in essence is why NASCAR has become so successful. They race cars that average person can identify with on tracks where they can see all the action.

Many road race fans criticize NASCAR for its low tech formula racing predominately on ovals but the low tech nature keepst costs down and the majority of the fans want to see all the action if they attend a race. If racing on road courses was a big moneymaker, the France family would surely have more road course events on the Winston Cup schedule. The Grand-Am series is an attempt by the France family to go a different route to create a successful road racing series. I think having road course races in the infield of these 1.5-mile tracks provideas a spectator the opportunity to see more of the action than your traditional road course.