Thread: IMSA 2021
View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2020, 16:25 (Ref:4001466)   #16
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
IMSA's old ALMS points system is that you had to run a certain number of laps or time to get both drivers and team/manufacturers points. Then around 2003 they adopted the ACO 70% classification distance. Since the merger, it's been basically the old (pre-2003) system aside from the fact that you just have to take the green to get entry points and have to complete a certain number of laps or time to get drivers points.
I'm not sure how 70% rule actually works... if memory helps me that rule allows cars to score points also if the race is definitely interrupted before the scheduled end (red flags, japanese typhoons etc...) but more than 70% of the lenght has been completed. Otherwise cars get half points as happened some years ago during WEC fuji race.
I'm not sure since 7 years have passed from ALMS final season, but I think to remember that in ALMS points were awarded only to cars that were able to finish the race, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

IMSA basically is using the old grand-am nascar-like points system, that was ok those year where in dp class were used to be also 15-20 cars on grid, but keep on using that points system in a 8 cars class like 2020 dpi is a joke!
a car could just run a single lap and then retire on next one and automatically gets 65% of points awarded by the winner...
not to consider that points awarded are the same regardless if a race is 2 or 24hours long.