Firehawk505
Rookie

United States
west coast of the USA
Firehawk505 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
L
Still feels like the format of SRO racing in the US is messed up. The 90 min races feel a bit boring, maybe because of the low grid numbers.

Not sure pandering to everyone by offering GT America as a way of doing single driver races really helps. Just spreads things too thin by giving one too many options

Pro Class - 1 Cars

Nowadays, the only motorsports tours I follow are IMSA WeatherTech, NASCAR Cup Series, and IndyCar. Back in my childhood in the 80's and early 90's, anything "beneath" that had the potential to be fun to watch, too. I had a fascination with the old IMSA Firehawk series, even though it was never covered all that well, but for photos and highlight reels.

And touring cars were of interest. Very aggressive looking, but the bodywork was seemingly stock. Just what looked like aftermarket spoilers and skirts and such.

Skip to today, and I feel like there are too many categories that are disorganized or just don't stay around that long, or have poor car counts. SRO has always been so confusing to me. Their website is not kept as well as it should be. I was looking for TCRs in some context besides the Pilot series, because I like touring cars to be on their own (nothing against GT4's, or GT classes in general. They can be fun.)

I found, tonight, an SRO YouTube channel, and watched a TC America race from VIR. Not the hugest car counts, but could be worse. It was pretty good racing overall. In the later stages, pretty tight. Sometimes he cars seem a bit hard to handle, but that's not necessarily bad. They all look great. Especially the BMW's and Hondas.

But I was coming upon conflicting (or hard tounderstand) info. Is TCR part of this (just rebranded as TCA or TC or TCX?)? Or was TCR dropped, like another source says?

The Australian Touring Car Championship, before Supercars, sometimes had a second category, and I thought it was great. I'd much rather watch TCR's with SRO than as part of the Pilot series.

I suppose as I write all this, I am contradicting myself, but cheers to the poster(s) upthread who are being honest about SRO's shortcomings. I think SRO has a lot of great ideas, but the execution is too complicated (or something). Definitely get rid of the Pro Class. That just seems like a liability. Change the rules if you have to to bring in that sole Pro car into the main fold (if that's still the case this year. I think I last saw it last season).